We go toe-to-toe with large institutions when your most fundamental liberties are being threatened. Our constitutional-litigation experience includes successfully pursuing due-process, retaliation, and equal-protection claims, often in the context of 18 U.S.C. § 1983 claims. We also have experience with various statutes used to enforce civil liberties, including the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act (RLUIPA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). When your rights are on the line, you need someone who will fight strategically and hard. We do both.
- Defeated summary judgment and won total exclusion of government expert witness in case involving religious-liberty and equal-protection claims, leading to policy-changing settlement that received international press coverage (Al-Kadi v. Ramsey County et al. (D. Minn. 2019))
- Represented voters in multiple challenges to election-related laws and procedures, to ensure access to voting amidst coronavirus pandemic
- Represented media network in defense of lawsuit involving First Amendment-protected speech
- Been appointed by the Ninth Circuit to represent an incarcerated individual in an appeal involving constitutional, ADA, and Rehabilitation Act claims related to prison conditions
- Represented Vietnam combat veterans and veterans service organizations in proposed class-action lawsuit seeking relief for veterans who developed Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder during military service and subsequently received other-than-honorable discharges