Ginny McCalmont is a litigator with on-her-feet experience in federal and state courts around the country.
Ginny represents both plaintiffs and defendants in a broad range of matters, with a particular focus on cases involving complex finance and securities, tax, indemnification, trade secret, and employment issues. Clients—from individuals and small partnerships to large, publicly-traded corporations—value Ginny’s thoughtfulness, attention to detail, and infectious enthusiasm for her work.
Ginny also maintains an active pro bono practice. In 2019, she received Attorney of the Year honors for her role as co-lead counsel in a closely watched federal civil rights case.
Ginny received her J.D. from Yale Law School, where she was an editor of the Yale Law Journal, an executive board member of Yale Law Women, a Coker Fellow, and a member of the Veterans Legal Services Clinic. Prior to entering private practice, she clerked for federal trial and appellate judges.
- Selected to Rising Stars list, Minnesota Super Lawyers (2020)
- Named as an Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer (2019)
- Recognized as a Minnesota State Bar Association North Star Lawyer for pro-bono service (2018-present)
- Stephen J. Massey Prize (for clinical work), Yale Law School (2015)
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth and Ninth Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the
- Northern District of Illinois
- District of Minnesota
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- 8th Circuit Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Virginia R. McCalmont et al., Out of the Black Box: Highlighting Central Myths of Gender Pay Disparity in the Legal Profession in 2020, Attorney at Law Magazine (November 2020)
- Virginia R. McCalmont, Eighth Circuit Continues Trend of Backing of State Election Officials, Law.com (October 22, 2020)
- Caitlinrose H. Fisher & Virginia R. McCalmont, Minneapolis Federal Courthouse Named in Honor of Eighth Circuit Judge Diana Murphy, Bar Talk, Federal Bar Association Minnesota Chapter (December 11, 2019)
- Caitlinrose H. Fisher & Virginia R. McCalmont, One Strike and Your Amicus is Out: The uncertainty of FRAP 29’s recent amendment, Eighth Circuit Bar Ass’n Newsletter (Summer 2019)
- Advanced Attorney-Client Privilege for In-House Counsel, Hennepin County Bar Association Corporate Counsel Section (June 30, 2020)
- Legal Writing and the Rules of Professional Responsibility, 2019 Legal Services Statement Conference: Addressing Disparity: A Way Forward, Co-presenter (October 24, 2019)
- Minnesota Women Lawyers, Pay Equity Initiative Member
- Fourth Judicial District Ethics Committee, Investigator